As everyone and you're mother now knows, the BCS National Championship Game will be played here in the Phoenix valley tomorrow night. While the game may be played in faraway Glendale, my own adopted home 'dale has also gotten in on the party. It has been a zoo of ducks fans, Tiger faithful, and the people watching in Scottsdale's Old Town quarter has been nothing short of spectacular. Everything you have heard about SEC football fans is true, these people are dressed to the nines at all times; American Junkie probably will never see this many tucked-in Oxfords again. I even saw multiple Augusta National floppy hats. Oregon fans, meanwhile, find their own clever ways to combine obnoxious with creepy. It's been an interesting week, and I hope everyone get an opportunity to take in an event of this magnitude, whether its a Final 4, Super Bowl, World Cup (where the cultural differences between competing factions are probably not as pronounced) or whatever. Its not every year (in Arizona's case, its every 4) that sporting events of this magnitude get to happen in my backyard, so short of spending a months wage on tickets, I am doing everything I can to embrace it. Here are a few thoughts on my rooting interests, as well as who I pick to win.
Southern belles > Pasty hipsters
*Retort with Oregon's cheerleaders all you like, but I really don't think they actually attend school up there. They just can't
Old Southern Money = Trust Fund Babies
Paying your quarterback > Running backs who hit girls
Red State > Blue State
War Eagle > That stupid O hand gesture
A quiet, unassuming coach > A sarcastic, smug jerk (I held back so much here Chip)
My opinion > Anything Ted Miller writes
Look, Oregon to me is right there with Arizona State. I'm not a PAC-10 guy. Based on the meltdown in Arizona's season, and our recruits looking elsewhere, we don't need our rivals to look good on TV. We need the opposite. All things considered, I would rather the PAC resemble the late 90s in hoops, where it was Arizona, and a bunch of little brothers chasing after them. Sorry I'm not sorry.
Here is the thing though. Oregon is winning this game. You can feel it in the air. For as much as I don't like coach Chip, keeping your players focused in the hotel with a curfew, and treating the game like a business trip is a much better formula for winning an actual game. Just ask coach Stoops, who let his players party before last years Holiday Bowl; Cam Newton running the show at Axis Radius or wherever doesn't win you titles.
Besides, the Ducks offense is just sick. People forget that Darron Thomas had beaten Jeremiah Masoli for the starting job in 2008 before a car accident. Two seasons later, one of which was a redshirt year, we are seeing a savvy veteran who knows a tricky offense inside and out. Look for Lamichael to show Heisman voters that awarding the trophy before the season is over is just foolish. And watch Jeff Maehl. I swallow my pride on this one- Maehl is one of my favorite players. Hands like glue, makes big plays, loves to block, and suffered through a heartbreaking, life-changing event a few summers back, which he has overcome and then some. I look for the senior to end his Ducks career on a high note, and propel himself into the upper rounds of the NFL draft.
I promise I will start writing more. Giffords stuff coming soon. Keep fighting Gabs, we need you.
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment