By now you have heard, and if not her is the deal: On monday Arizona announced that Lamont Jones, known both in my apartment and to the world as "Momo", would be leaving school. This was a somewhat sudden, and surprising development given the relationship Momo had developed with the University community over his two seasons in the desert. Reactions have been interesting, as the Harlem native was a divisive figure among the faithful. Here's the thing: Everyone wins, except me.
(Here is a breakdown of how parties involved are "winners")
Brendon Lavender: The much maligned, albeit talented senior gets to keep his ride. Lav has always been an intriguing talent, with the highest vertical leap on the team, a commitment to defense, and a very solid jumper. There's no reason on paper that he shouldn't reach the professional ranks (note: this doesn't mean the NBA. Basketball players are second only to soccer stars in professional opportunities. You can make a very comfortable living in at least 30 countries). However, something has always held Brendon back. Dude plays on eggshells. With one year to take it all in, and cement his role, the proverbial hope that Lav can make the jump from sporadic appearances to key contributor is once again in play for the Wildcats.
Sean Miller: Coach Miller is the man. You can't have him, Maryland (I HATE the Terrapins and always have. Remember, I wasn't raised a Wildcat fan, I contracted that. In Will Hartman's world, as a Duke fan, there was nothing more annoying than "Backsweat" Gary Williams. Whether it was his ruined closet of Men's Wearhouse blazers, or his incessant recruitment of players like Sarunas Jasikaereairfjasdf {it doesn't matter, but this is what his real name is} or Nik Caner-Medley, the Terps managed to surpass the vaunted Tar Heels as public enemy number one. ASU, I'd like you to meet your similarly-mediocre-uniformed counterpart) Anyway, Coach had himself a numbers crunch, courtesy of some old trouble the previous regime had gotten into. He was facing having to jettison a player who had worked hard, wished to remain in Tucson, or was possibly a key contributor. Previously mentioned Lav and European import Kyryl Natyazhko seemed likely candidates. With Momo leaving on his own, 'Zona falls under the 12 rides cap.
Momo: While it may come out that there is much more to the story, lets just trust the information we have. Following his father's brutal murder when he was very young, Jones was raised primarily by his grandmother . Momo is a heady, emotional kid, and really a throwback in my opinion. National Honor Society, engaged to be married, by all accounts the heart and soul of the program. Family comes first, and seeing as how his grandmother has fallen very ill, this is the right thing to do. A couple years ago, a kid named Garland Judkins left Arizona at midseason. Garland was a nothing player, and frankly didn't fit what the program was looking for at all. However, he got to spend 6 months with his terminally ill father, which to me is much more important than solidifying a rotation at a college. Momo is making a smart decision here from an off the court standpoint. On the court I will get to in a bit, but for now just pray for the kid.
Jordin Mayes, Josiah Turner, Kyle Fogg: With Jones out of the picture, the backcourt picture makes a lot more sense. On the court, Momo was a solid hooper without a true position. With the arrival of a heralded, potentially program changing talent like Turner, minutes were going to be harder and harder to come by. Fogg is a 3 year starter at shooting guard who was probably facing starting senior night on the bench. While I don't buy the message board sentiment that Jordin had already passed Momo on the totem pole, roles have now been solidified, and if nothing else we can see what the sophomore is made out of in more extensive action. The days of 4 minute runouts have ended for Jordin. These guys now have 5 months to develop a rapport together and create a cohesive and deadly backcourt.
(*I didn't include Nick Johnson because I think this kid is going to turn Tucson on its head in the best way possible. I see "Bunnies" as the wild card in the mix, using his raw athletic ability to embarrass the Chanse Creekmur's of the conference while his body builds up to the collegiate level. Did I mention he owns the rivalry already?)
And now for the one loser.
Myself: While all the information above is fantastic, and I have faith that Arizona is going to be an outstanding club, this irks me. As I stated earlier, I saw Momo as the glue that held the Wildcats together the past to season. Keep in mind that he hosted Josiah, Jordin, and several other prospects who shared his position during his four semesters. I look at the 19 year old kid who was so thankful that his backup had bailed him out, who got himself immortality in "one shining moment" videos, and who led the team through the Zona Zoo after the Washington game, and I really want to see an all-time great. Maybe not as a player in the Steve Kerr/Jason Gardner mold, but the kind of guy who never has to buy lunch in Arizona again (still doesn't if I run into him fwiw), who gets a heroes send off on Senior Day at McKale, and who gets an embrace from Assistant Coach Richardson (btw Momo's godfather) after he cuts down the last of the net in two years. I really wanted this kid to come full circle.
The bottom line is that I hope you all appreciate a kid who put everything he had into making my school, the greatest college/institution not named the United States of America, a brand name again. Momo will continue to be a Wildcat, and I hope he gets the understanding, prayers, and perspective from Wildcat faithful that he has rightfully earned. I'm rooting for you bud.
In other news, I managed to go this entire season without watching a Timberwolves game. That trend will continue indefinitely if Derrick Williams isn't on the roster next season. Between the Vikings, Twins, and Wolves, lets just say I have watched a lot of soccer. SOCCER, folks, and as great of a soccer writer as I may be I'd rather not wake up at 6am on weekends to listen to 19 year old kids break FCC regulations across the pond. Step your game up, homestate teams.
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment