I swore to myself that I would try and play it as neutral as I could on here; that I wouldn't blatantly reveal my political and philosophical leanings to you, the valued reader. This could be an issue tonight. There have been some wild events going on with our quirky, smelly neighbors about 6 hours east and I just happen to have some opinions about them.
To the rioters: Shut up and go home. Take off your nasty hipster sweatshirts, get back on the Xbox controller, and chill out (read that as if I was yelling, all caps doesn't appeal to the naked eye). I have no idea what kind of person Mr. Mark Duggan was, and I doubt 95% of you (you the reader as well as you the weirdo ruffian across the pond) even care. This has been an incident that has 'almost' happened on numerous occasions within England; as times get tough people get ornery.
I get that you're upset, and I understand that you're scared. I've been young, unemployed, and to an extent lacking direction in my life, and its certainly horrifying. But here's a little secret I'd like to instill upon you, Johnny Redcoat: quit complaining and make yourself marketable. It's not like there aren't jobs out there. According to an article that I am going to cite heavily, there are currently over 2,000 entry level jobs available in London. I understand that isn't the California gold rush (in fact it's probably a list of much better jobs) but the opportunity is there is you show any desire to not be a waste of space.
(Read that whole article. I have no idea if the Daily Mail is a reputable source, but I've seen some of the garbage people post on facebook and twitter so you can't hold this against me.)
Where does one get off burning down local businesses? I wouldn't agree with it, but if this was something aimed at "multinationals" or "big business" or whatever then at least it would make sense ideologically. But seriously, burning down a 150 year old family run furniture store? You all suck.
And by the way, while it isn't Brentwood, the neighborhoods of Tottenham, Croydon and Hackney are not exactly the Coney Island housing projects or slums of Mumbai. Get over yourselves. I don't think anything is necessarily "to blame" (and I try my best to ward off the 'blameitis' that all Americans are born with) but one has to wonder how long the dead weight of England has been strung along. Again, this is a bunch of disenfranchised adolescents with no direction or respect for the world order. When you allow these people to receive handouts, it just sort of masks an underlying problem. Most of these kids, much like a lot of kids you and I went to school with (AND LET ME JUST SAY THAT THIS IS NOT A RACIAL ISSUE, TAKE A LOOK AT THE PHOTOS AND YOU WILL SEE THAT PRETTY CLEARLY) were probably lost in about 5th grade, and that's really all she wrote as far as having an easy go of it in life.
Unfortunately, just like what we are facing, the United Kingdom can't afford to keep these people on it's tab any more. The poor always deserve chances, and it needs to be instilled in those who aren't as fortunate from the get go that you have a chance to make something of this thing. I don't think there is any easy way to solve this problem, but giving people a handout and just enough so that they don't have to take any initiative sets a dangerous precedent.
This is the same deal in Tel Aviv; I don't know what people expect. Dear morons, what do you think happens when a neighborhood becomes desirable? Prices go up, the value of land multiplies, and landowners can get more bang for their buck. Can you blame them? (The answer is no btw.) Just because you want to live somewhere doesn't mean you can. I would love to post up on Camelback Mountain or on a pretty lot in Newport Beach, but guess what, I'm (not for long if you tell your buddies to read my posts) not of the means to do so, so I can't. I'm really sorry, but that's the way it works. And for the record, I love the 51st state, and I would vote for Netanyahu in 2012 if I could. Israel is legit.
What I have been trying to hammer towards, and I will now just say directly, is that you can't just grab things you want and have them because your mad. We aren't owed anything. This life is about earning things, and busting your butt to do the best you can. Stop dressing like a bad Tilly's mannequin and buy yourself an interview suit. I was once skeptical, but I'm sure the local Joseph A. Bank is having a 4 for 1 one time sale. (And once you put that first suit on, you'll never be the same.) If you aren't willing to give 100% to maximize the potential you have, then I don't care for you at all, and I hope the Scotland Yard has a field day with you.
There was a soccer game tonight. It will be interesting to see the USA roster sort itself out, but man Klinsmann is a breath of fresh air. As long as he keeps dialing in these young ambitious dudes I feel very good about the direction of what has secretly become one of my favorite sports to follow.
College football is coming soon. I know I linked it, but take a look at this video my boy Jay-Bama and enjoy.
Goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment