Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First Post

I have been thinking about making one of these for a long time, so here it goes. I have a passion for sports and pretty strong, educated opinions so it is time that I get them out there. Don't expect me to make too many bold statements, this is an opinion blog and as such I intend to tell you how I think games or events or whatever are going to transpire, and why. Generally speaking, I will probably stick to college sports as that is where I consider myself the most well-versed, but I will be branching out occasionally. That is the case with my first post.

The Confederations Cup.
I have never been much of a soccer fan, but since World Cup 06 the sport has really grown on me, to the point where I watch at least a few games (or matches, or whatever the Euros call them) a week, and keep tabs on transactions. With a major tournament currently going on, right now is a good chance to take a look at the sport if you aren't familiar with it or you think soccer is 'boring'. Watch the USA-Spain match up tomorrow to get where I am coming from here. In one corner, you have an opportunistic American side that has advanced by the grace of god, and in the other, a Spanish side that has not lost in 35 games now, which dates back well over a year. I don't think anyone can reasonably expect the Americans to win, but there is a chance here and this is a great opportunity for a young squad to make a statement to the rest of the world. In order for an American victory, first, the defense must be stout. Either goalkeeper, Brad Guzan or Tim Howard, must play to their respective potential in order for the United States to have any chance. In the back line, I think Jonathan Bornstein has really got to step it up. Although undersized, he has the speed to stick most forwards that he will face, and no doubt will have his hands full with Fernando Torres and David Villa, two of the most explosive scorers in the world. Oguchi Onyewu, the 6'5 215+ behemoth, should be able to step in and thus far has had an outstanding tournament. 'Gooch tends to get in trouble with his hands, as he is considerably stronger than almost anyone else on the field and oftentimes makes more noticeable tackles. Jay DeMerit is a great story and a guy that you know will bust his butt every time down the field, but with his stocky frame I am wary or him being beaten on crosses. In the midfield, I expect Landon Donovan to continue to make us proud as the face of American soccer. While he is maligned by critics for his failures overseas, in international competition he shows great ball control and the ability to go on long runs, taking defenders with him and setting up his teammates. Benny Feilhaber and Michael Bradley will have to be accurate from long range for the States to have hope here. Up front is where i am the most concerned. Jozy Altidore, the boy wonder, has shown a penchant for turning the ball over and hesitating to take shots when the opportunity presents itself. Hopefully the 19 year old rises to the occasion and shows the Spaniards that he is capable of performing in La Liga, where thus far he has struggled. I would like to see Clint Dempsey play upfront as well. Listed as a midfielder, Dempsey is perhaps the most gifted ball handler on the squad, and his creativity in my opinion is best utilized closer to the 18 yard box where any potential turnover won't be so costly (see Honduras match). Lastly, I think that the game could serve as a coming-out party for Charlie Davies. Playing overseas in Sweden, he had managed to play in relative anonymity up until his goal against Egypt, which embodied what he brings to the table: blazing speed, great handle, and outstanding hustle. In order to play with the worlds finest squad and have ANY chance at beating them, Davies must be given the green light to go right at Espana's back line and take shots even if they are "low percentage" (hey, it works for Italy!). Another key is Conor Casey. He makes up for being undersized by being completely useless and not hustling. I have been known to eat my words, and would love to be wrong, but how in the hell is Eddie Johnson, a proven scorer at the international level and younger player, not even on the squad. In short, Casey should not see the field.

As far as tomorrow's match goes, I am expecting a fired up American squad to attack at a relentless pace for the early stages of the game. An early goal or two changes the complexion of the game and forces Spain to play more men forward, which would make Davies or Donovan even more dangerous on counter attacks. Experience and overall talent will prevail, however, and I think that even after a hangover from feasting on borderline competition (New Zealand, Iraq???) the Spaniards will wake up and prevail. I look for a 3-2 result here, with the Americans clawing every step of the way against a team that simply cannot lose right now.

2 comments:

  1. what time and station is it going to be on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2:25 Eastern, which I think is 12:30 here but I always forget. Its on ESPN

    ReplyDelete