First off, thanks to everyone that has read what I have to say and provided me with support. Just last night I heard from several people about how much they have enjoyed what I have to say, one of whom I had never met before. I hope that this continues to grow, and if you have any feedback, positive or negative, please don't hesitate to let me know. Also, if you have anything you would like me to write about I will do my best to accommodate you.
My USA-Spain post was generally well-received, and while I certainly did not intend to make this into a soccer blog, I had a request to write about the coming USA-Brazil contest. Here it goes.
To put it simply, the Brazilian squad terrifies me. They are fluid, dynamic, and possess great speed. When you have a defensive back like Dani "Date Rape" Alves (the creepiest guy in the tournament, and a player two separate and unrelated journalists have referred to as "swashbuckling") who joins in on the attacks and presents such a threat, you know you are in for a long evening. Brazil has a depth of talent and ability, and it is a safe bet that they're backups and probably 3rd and 4th stringers could make a run at a final. A starter on Manchester United, 21 year old midfielder Anderson, did not even make the squad, nor did Jo, a player who I fully expect to be the class of Europe once he figures it out for Manchester City. Back to the players who will be on the pitch. Kaka is among the worlds best, a legendary, albeit underrated talent who deserves to be mentioned alongside Christiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, and Michael Essien, among others. The midfielder is instrumental in forming attacks, and a player who the United States will have to keep tabs on regardless of where he is on the pitch. What really scares me is counterattacks. As we have seen, the United States has proven to be a stout defense when the ball is more under control, I guess the equivalent to the half court defense in basketball. Where they have been more vulnerable is when things break down on the other end, and players such as Robinho and Ramires have taken full advantage of their dramatic speed advantage. Even against Italy, the other poor performance, it was long, garbage goals that the United States let in.
For the United States to have a chance, controlling the tempo of the game is so important. Allow our defense to set up, and I think the blistering pace of the Brazilians is largely negated. Also, I don't think that this Brazil squad is particularly mentally tough. To borrow from my football (American) career, the Americans need to come out and hit Brazil right in the mouth. Attack, attack, attack. Dempsey, Donovan, and Rio de Janeiro born Benny Feilhaber are the ex-factors here. Donovan is a workhorse who has the ability to set the tone early with his excellent passing and long runs. Dempsey has proven to be outstanding later in the game when coach Bradley moves him up front. Feilhaber seems to have some zip on his longer shots, and while he hasn't connected yet I think that this is the perfect opportunity for the former UCLA walk-on to show his stuff. If our midfield can control the game early (easier said than done) then our forwards, who just in this tournament have grown in leaps and bounds, will at least make this interesting, but this game cannot turn into a track meet.
Outcome: This is one of the few teams in the world that has a true team speed advantage over the Americans (Maybe England, Argentina and Cote D'ivoire), and this game can go in one of two directions, with the potential to get ugly as we saw earlier. However, I fully expect the American side to play balls to the wall. I am seeing and feeling shades of the Italy game in 06 here. Plenty of controversy, physical play, and maybe a disallowed goal. I have two scores here. A 1-1 draw, or a 2-1 victory for Brazil.
Looking ahead: I will be shifting gears later in the week, and once a Derrick Williams announcement comes I will evaluate the Arizona Wildcats incoming basketball recruits. Further down the road, I will have a team-by-team preview of the PAC-10 and selected other football teams that I follow just to show how big of a geek I am. In the final month before the season, I will have a countdown of my 25 favorite members of the 2009 Arizona Wildcat football team.
Finally, a big birthday shout out to two of my best friends, Chris Reed and Mario Hernandez. What a crazy coincidence that my favorite democrat and favorite Mexican Jewish American share a birthday. This calls for some celebrations. Stay safe, folks
I hope you enjoyed and again I look forward to hearing from you. Always real.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Pelosi was on TV today and my stepdad turns to me and says "I can't wait until you start making money and become a Repbulican."
ReplyDelete