My 18th favorite Wildcat is Blake Kerley. Playing center, the 5th year senior is one of the last guys remaining on the squad that came to school with me back in August 2005. Man, time flies. As a redshirt freshman in 2006, Blake beat out a senior and returning starter, playing every snap of a 6-6 campaign. His success continued into 2007. In fact, as a sophomore he was so successful that heading into 2008 Kerley was a candidate for the Rimington Trophy, which is given annually to the best center in college football. Things went south for the Texan against UCLA, as he suffered a season ending injury. Blake brings toughness and smarts to the position. He has been frequently praised for his ability to call a game and recognize defenses, which paved the way for some great early season running by Nic Grigsby. As a 5th year senior, look for Blake to bring more leadership to the table than anything else. His injury is not quite healed and his replacement, Colin Baxter, did a great job in relief. He may not be on the field as much this season as years past, but Kerley is not a guy to count out. I look for him to come around late in the season, and it wouldn't shock me if he was a big part of on-field successes if and when he gets another chance to bring it.
That's all I have. Keep reading, and I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment