Friday, August 14, 2009

Recruiting Wishlist

For the past few days I have teased you guys with my 2009 Arizona Wildcat wish list. So, after the countdown, I will provide you with the names of 12 guys that I really want to see in an Arizona uniform. Enjoy. PS Kyle Orton sucks.


At #20 is Jake Fischer. Jake is a Tucson native, playing his high school ball at Ironwood Ridge up in Oro Valley. When I worked at KVOA in 2007, oftentimes I covered games on the northwest side of Tucson. I probably got to see Fischer in action 6 or 7 times that year. Though he was just a junior, it was clear to all of us at channel 4 that Jake was a man among boys, and that he needed to be a priority for Coach Stoops' gang. Fischer committed last year, with Arizona edging out Nebraska, among others, for his services. He is a little short at 5'11, 225, but that really doesn't bother me. As a 9th grader Jake had enough athleticism to dunk a basketball, lettering in that sport before figuring out his calling. Barring an unforeseen disaster, Jake will be a backup this season. However, I can honestly say that he will be a force to be reckoned with one day in the PAC-10 and beyond. Linebackers with jaw-dropping athleticism and sideline to sideline tackling ability don't grow on trees, and when they come in a package as smart and vicious as this one look out.


Moving on, its time for my list. I have analyzed a fair amount of prospects that Arizona is actively recruiting and I think that while we certainly won't land all of these guys, there are at least a few who will stick. Some guys listed here are complete longshots. But hey, Turtle is dating Jamie-Lynn Siegler in real life (REAL LIFE), so like KG said, anything is possible!



1) Jordon James. Jordon with an O is a tailback from Corona, California. Arizona is in competition with some pretty elite schools, such as Notre Dame and UCLA, for his services. Last season he had over 1,100 yards. That decent, however James production came in 4 games! On tape, he is electrifying. I have watched all the top running backs this season (on tape), as well as Marion Barber and Reggie Bush in person when they were seniors in high school. James is right up there with both of them. He can stop, start, catch, break tackles, and he can really pull away. If you watch his highlight tape, he toys with Vontaze Burfict, and ASU freshman considered by many to be the top defender in last years senior class. He will visit Arizona, and if he is impressed the Slip'n'Slide crew had better look over their collective shoulders.

2) Marquis Flowers. Some will tell you that they don't consider in-state recruiting to be important. I do. Flowers is a Goodyear, AZ product who can run and hit with the best of them. Among others, ASU, USC and Arizona are competing to land this stud. By no means are we favorites, but this is a kid we can get if we have a successful season. Flowers wants to announce at the Army All-American Bowl. Keep your eye on this one.

3) Keanu Nelson. Keanu hails from right here in Tucson, AZ. The Sabino product has the versatility to play just about any skill position. I think he fits the mold of a spread-type receiver. Nelson has wiggle, hands, and speed. He is also one of the most intelligent kids on the West Coast. Stanford, UCLA, and a host of other great universities are vying to pick up Nelson. Lets hope that he realizes the best school of them all is right here in from of him.

4) Shaydon Acuna. Acuna is a big, mean linebacker from Hawaii. Many of the guys we have brought in the past few years are a little undersized. At 6'3 with a frame to add a ton of weight, Acuna is the opposite. With all 3 starters on track to graduate, I think its safe to say linebacker is a priority for the coaching staff. With early playing time potentially available, getting a decorated kid from the islands is a distinct possibility.

5) Josh Robbins. One of the finest programs in Tucson is Canyon Del Oro, commonly known as CDO (or CDBro, depending on who you talk to). Despite a ton of success, CDO is known more for producing baseball players. With Robbins coming up and KaDeem Carey a junior, CDO becomes an immediate priority. Oregon State has already offered this stud, and with the success they have with Arizona kids that tells me all I need to know. Arizona is recruiting him, and his father played here back in the 80s, which helps. As for his game, I think Robbins fits as another big, rangy safety in the mold of Adam Hall and, hopefully, Marquis Flowers. This guy may be #5 on my list, but consider him a must-get.

6) Donovan Vestal. If you know my buddy Creed (and maybe its better if you don't) then you immediately recognize this name. As far as I know, Donovan is NOT related to Creeds ginger girlfriend, aptly last-named Vestal. All kidding aside, Vestal is a big, strong Texan who plays defensive end. Already 6'5 240, I see this kid really becoming a beast. While we only have one senior at end in 2009, depth is important, and this is the type of guy who can dominate games after a redshirt year.

7) Victor Burnett. While he is only a 3 star prospect, Burnett may be the biggest longshot of all of these guys. The Culver City, California product just received an offer from Oklahoma. Burnett has uncanny size, even for a D1 prospect. He is a linebacker, and another kid who I think has the goods to play right away. Also competing with Arizona for his services, among others, is Washington (********More on this development at the end of my post). Lets hope he sees the light here.

8) Demetrius Wright. Wright is a highly decorated cornerback prospect who Arizona is battling a host of programs for. With Devin Ross graduating, and Marcus Benjamin and Mike Turner due to be seniors next season, there isn't much depth here. I think Wright has the goods to contribute on special teams early, and depending on his weightlifting, maybe contend to start. He is another longshot, but he does like U of A and that has to count for something.

9) Jourdan Grandon. Jourdan is another corner, hailing from Westview High School just, well west, of Phoenix. Grandon is about 6'1 or 6'2, and possesses outstanding moxie and speed. He also stars as a quarterback at the high school level, but at Arizona he would play corner. One has to think that these defenders would look at Antoine Cason, Wilrey Fontenot, Ross, as well as Derrick Strait at Oklahoma, and realize Mike and Mark Stoops are second to nobody when it comes to developing defensive backs. Landing Grandon also sends the message to Arizona State that they must consider Phoenix to be, at best, shared turf. Landing sleepers like this goes a long way in winning in-state recruiting.

10) Derek Earls. Earls is a Junior College guy, playing his ball at North Dakota College of Science. While its a funny name in a weird part of the country, NDCS produces some outstanding talent, regularly being raided by Big 12 and Big 10 schools. At 6'4 and probably about 230, Earls is physically ready to play linebacker at this level. If he gains some weight, he could even do damage as an end in our system. This is an outstanding athlete and maybe the most underrated guy Arizona is after.

11) Bruce Gaston. Bruce is a big defensive tackle from Chicago. This is one of the hardest positions to evaluate and recruit for college coaches. Despite already weighing close to 300 pounds, Gaston isn't just another fat 17 year old sitting on other teenagers. This is a guy with good strength and agility who can plug gaps. He is also a pretty good pass rusher. This is a guy who may be a little tough to land. I hope he realizes how many other Chicago kids call Tucson home for college, and based on my experiences, love it out here.

12) Svondo Bradley. Aside from having a sweet first name, Bradley is another athletic defensive lineman. At 6'1 240, I think he can go either inside or outside. Coming to Arizona would be perfect for him. With a lot of juniors on the team in 2009, he won't be counted on to play right away and can redshirt. After beefing up under Corey Edmond (maybe the most legit strength coach ever) Bradley can play the Marcus Smith/Donald Horton role. It's a good one, just ask Smith, who now plays for the Dallas Cowboys.


****I had to touch on Washington. It seems like EVERY kid on the west coast is infatuated with that program. They will no doubt land a good class this year. What many of these teenagers fail to realize is that Steve Sarkisian is the type of used-car salesman that will tell you exactly what you want to hear in order to sell you a Ford Festiva for 40 grand. Washington can have all the talent in the world, but with the staff they have they are still going to suck for a few years. Let's hope that nobody on this list drinks the purple kool-aid up there in Protest Ci...I mean Seattle. How are the Supersonics doing?

Anyway, remember this list is my opinion, which can lead you to two conclusions. First, that I am an insightful guy that really knows his stuff. Second, that I have way too much time on may hands this summer. Both of these are quite true. I can assure you that other guys will end up at Arizona, and not all of these kids will be great, so take this list for what it's worth. Stop by tomorrow, and I will have more stuff for you to read. Its been very, very real on Real Talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment